Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Wait, BEER MIGHT NOT BE VEGETARIAN???

The month moves on, I'm back in school, I'm getting my life schedule back in order, or in some fashion, and I'm looking towards more of my future monthly goals. I've been looking into caffeine-free options, contacts, music and other adventures.  I've also began my research for veg-uary. I'm looking into ingredients, starting to stock my fridge with my upcoming options, and generally researching what I can and can't eat.

Holy crap.

Did you know there are beers, wines and some foods you'd think are veg-friendly, but totally aren't?? Guinness uses a fish product called isinglass in the production process of the stout.  They essentially can't guarantee particles won't make it's way to the final product.  The same for Magners.  Magners uses an animal product (Cochineal) for colouring.  I also have to look into items that use gelatin or pectin, which is in surprising items such as sour cream (huh!).

I have done research for half a day. And all I have to say is this:

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?????

I have to watch not only what I eat, but what I DRINK too?  When did I have to start worrying about that shit too??? Stuff with dyes, surprise pectin or gelatin, or even animal products tossed in or used in the production.  Aren't there other effective ways to separate product in the production process, or use other items for colouring, or even just having NATURAL colours for the product?

I've been talking to other friends who are vegetarians and vegans and they say the scariest thing about  doing this is the research.  Along with that, the more research you do, the less you want to eat the nasty-ass food that is put out there.

One step at a time. One bite at a time, lots of reading, and even more eating.

-janeovision

P.s. I tried veggie ground beef last night. I'm pretty sure I like it better than real ground beef, but I've never been a fan of the smell of ground beef cooking anyways.  BRING IT ON.

No comments:

Post a Comment