Friday, January 18, 2013

Movie review: silver linings play book. Meh.

This is not the first Oscar nom I've seen this year, but it's definitely going to be the one I have to get out of the way first. Silver Linings Playbook.

I have to be missing something.  The acting was fine and the story was OK, but I'm not sure I understand why this movie was nominated for an Oscar. It's a rom-com. They are both broken birds and find solace in each other. They fall in love. There's a dance number. Wait, did I just watch she's all that?

It doesn't seem like anything special compared to all the other movies that came out or nominated this year. It's cute, but... Yea I don't know. I honestly can't think of anything to write about this besides...meh.  Maybe it's the mental health thing? I suppose, but I don't think the topic was touched on upon enough to really be an impactful movie.  One might suggest that less is more, but at times, even when it was touched on, it seemed more animated than real, more for entertainment than for getting a story across.

Jennifer Lawrence did fine, but it wasn't close to her work in Winters Bone (which she didn't win for, but black swan was her competition) and if anything her facial features were a littlefrozen and blank, hopefully not a regular thing,as her last few major roles seem to demonstrate.  Bradley Cooper had no real depth in his character, which may be the fault of the script itself, which only gave us shallow tidbits of his past, barely giving us a true look at his character. Then there's Chris Tucker. Why is he there? Is this his attempt at moving from his duo with Jackie Chan? Is this his comeback? You could've used the old spice guy and it would have had the same impact. Oh,  Mr. Tucker, you have grown into a much more attractive wiser actor andman. Please find roles that you can actually bite into, this one did nothing for you.  I think the only good thing was Robert DeNiro, who brought on an interesting portrayal (albeit limited) with his OCD and relationship with his son.

I think the only part that was Oscar worthy and that truly impressed me (besides the dance scene-those get me every time!) was the monologue Lawrence did defending Coopers actions and linking them with DeNiros OCD and the football game. It was clear, it was rough, and it was truly impressive how she put everyone in that room in their place. I might have clapped or vocalized a 'daaaaaamn!' From my couch. Maybe that's why she has the Oscar nomination.

Silver Linings Playbook was a good enough movie, and certainly a rom-com to put near the top of the usual suspect list of fluffy romantic movies that come out every year (Nicholas Sparks, please knock it off already!). Is it Oscar worthy? I'm going to have to say no. But good on Cooper for branching away from the A-team and Lawrence getting everyone to forget she's Katniss Everdeen for a little while. Maybe Lawrence was nominated based on the slim pickings this year? Wo knows. I like her, but I just don't know this time.

I'm going to try watching this one again.  its fun, and its definitely one I'll watch again, but it's just not doing it for me.  maybe it's Juno Syndrome.   I saw that movie 3 times before I started liking it. Maybe the publicity ruined it for me.  Perhaps criticism is best when safe from hype and over saturation from the media. Who knows.

 That's all for now. More reviews to come!

-janeovision

No comments:

Post a Comment