Sunday, February 24, 2013

Movie Review: Zero Dark Thirty


First off, I have to say I'm a fan of Kathryn Bigelow and her work. I'm not a fan of war movies or pro America movies for that matter. I feel that a lot of Americans have enough confidence for the world over and do not need to be sped pro-war and pro-America nonsense. When I saw Bigelow's last film, The Hurt Locker, I found it was a refreshing look at the war and the people that are in it. It didn't shove a flag down your throat, but portrayed the soldiers as humans, affected by what they saw, so much they'd rather stay and protect their fellow soldiers than be back on home soil, safe and with family. It had an honesty to it that I hadn't seen in a while and had pushed me away from movies like this.

Zero Dark Thirty was a bigger challenge than Hurt Locker. Based on actual accounts and true events, and with it hitting so close to home with recent U.S. history, it's hard not to see the flags waving in the aisles. Bigelow was still able to keep it about the issue at hand, and not get too heavy-handed on the patriotism, but as the plot continue on, it was hard to stand that ground and I felt I had a flag being shoved down my throat when I wasn't looking.

Jessica Chastain was a powerhouse, bringing her oscar-game as usual. But It's the same old Oscar worthy performance. I'd love to see her switch it up somehow and play someone weak, and maybe not a leading role. I'd love to see her push someone else and support her fellow actors, as opposed to being the one on top. Yes, I know she was also in The Help, but that role did nothing for me anyways. I will say that my favourite moment was at the very end when she is on the plane, and in those final minutes before the credits roll, she is alone and she breaks down. She doesn't cry of relief or sadness, or even really a cry of release now that she is heading home. She just cries. She finally stops and takes a moment to what has been happening over the years, what she's gone through and what she's lost, and she just cries. I found that moment the highlight of her performance.

The biggest controversy about this film is the idea that they are glorifying and hollywood-ing the torture that happens to captors. There has been talk about them showing off the terrible things they do, or even being a little to 'nice' about it, showing it much tamer than it actually is. These scenes are something that have to be taken on VERY carefully by, not only the director, but the actors as well. I feel that Bigelow did it in a way that portrayed a glimmer of the reality of war in Iraq, but still not traumatizing the audiences so much that they walk out of the theatre before the movie even begins. With a scene as delicate as torture, you will never have anyone happy with it. I certainly wasn't comfortable watching it, but it had to be shown. It's done, let's move on.

This film was what it was. Good guy catching the bad guy. Good guys win, bad guys lose. Bigelow is becoming more and more of a name in Hollywood, but if she does another movie about the war, I just might give up on her. Please don't pull a Wes Anderson and get stuck in a niche*. I have high hopes and I don't like being disappointed.


-janeovision


* I think Wes Anderson's Last Film, Moonrise Kingdom does NOT fall under his niche I mentioned, same with Fantastic Mr Fox. But, although I like his movies (enough) his bit has gotten old.


No comments:

Post a Comment