Thursday, February 21, 2013

Movie Review: Lincoln. I guess I should be honest...


I have been dreading watching this movie since the nominations came out. I personally am not a fan of historical films, specifically American history, politics, or war films. I've never seen Saving Private Ryan. I've resolved myself to say that I'm sure it's a good film, but I have absolutely no interest in seeing it. That's pretty much as fa as I'll go with anything of the like.

However, since I promised myself I would see all the best picture nominees, I sat myself down (or, I was briefly bedridden with strep) and watched it. It's not easy to review a movie you don't want to watch in the first place, but you do what you gotta do. My thoughts from here on out may seem somewhat blazze, but I stand by my previous statement about my thoughts on this genre.

My review is this: The acting was good. Daniel Day-Lewis made Lincoln look human and his connection with both soldiers and businessmen seemed kind and honest (see what I did there?!) Sally Field was Sally Field. She'll always be Momma Gump to me; charming and sharp as a tack. Tommy Lee Jones will forever look like grumpy cat. There were a few surprise cameos with Joseph Gordon Levitt and the guy that plays Adam from Girls. The story is simple, they vote, it passes (2 hours later! guh) Abe goes to the theatre. badda bing badda boom.

I wish I could say more, but I feel I'd be wasting both of our time. It's a historical political movie. He wants slave free. He gets it done. He gets shot in the theatre and he dies. I'm pretty sure I got this history lesson from a milk commercial when I was 10.

If you like this kind of stuff, go see it. Let me know what you thought. Im sure I'm missing something.

Or maybe I'll never like these movies. I'll always be an action movie girl.

Bloodsport, anyone?

-janeovison

No comments:

Post a Comment