Friday, December 4, 2009

let me tell you a joke...

So, the other night I was walking home in the drizzly december weather and a homeless man walked up to me.

Now before he asked me for anything, he showed me this trick with a jumbo bread clip, where you throw it like a boomerang. He then did ask for change, but requested that he perform a few jokes first.

One of them was:
what did the ocean say to the shore?
Nothing, it just waved.


I did have a quarter, and was pretty happy to give it to him, but before I could give it to him, he wanted me to guess the number I was thinking between 1 and 100.

He guessed 74. Nope, higher.
He guessed 98. Nope, lower.
Then he guessed 83. I gave him the quarter.

It was actually 86, but I had to tell him he was right. He had so much spirit, and when I high-fived him to 'congratulate' him, his face lit up like a little kid.


That's pretty much the whole story. He and I had this random interaction alone in the soggy streets, but it was kinda neat to have this exchange with him. I didn't feel harassed, I didn't feel guilty or annoyed, and he was truly happy to have this contact.

I dunno. It was just a night moment, thought I'd share.

-janeovision


1 comment: