Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Monthly Tasks: Restaurant speed dating! (I have a wonderful relationship with food)

So last month was Restaurant month. I stepped out of my comfort zone and tried new spots and new foods I had yet to experience.  Here's a brief review of each one, nice and simple:

Hawker bar - amazing dumplings and chicken. Each cocktail is like an art of delicious mastery. I just wish there was a few veggies with my meal. Rice and meat is awesome, but I could've used something green to go with it

Sweet Lulu - you create your own Thai dish. I had no idea what I was doing, but I made mine with tofu, veggies, peanut sauce and basil leaves. Amazing flavour (but I was definitely nervous I made a mistake before I finally tasted it) the portions are obscene, in the best way possible. They have stuff for those with allergies, diet restrictions, and I think that includes gluten, vegan, and eggs.

Greek in the Village - sigh. It just wasn't the Ottawa-loved Greek on Wheels. Their take out sets the bar too high for everyone else. There was not enough colour or veggies in the meal, it looked thrown together and lazy. Someone bring me Greek on wheels to find comfort in.

Tacos el Asador - such a small little spot, with tiny communal benches and no AC, but so much deliciousness. I had the chicken and the fish tacos. They were fresh, soft, and not overwhelming or dull in flavour! Even their sodas (in snazzy glass bottles) made it feel like a nice little escape This will be a new haunt for sure. 

Pho Orchid - this was my first experience with Pho. I really don't know why I haven't done it before. I tried it on a rainy day and it was the perfection of comfort food. Broth, noodles, beef (veg available) noodles and alfalfa. Be careful of the surprise tripe in some dishes. 

Java Joe - They had great salads, but they somehow found a way to mess up a BLT. If you go, stick with salads. That's as exciting as its gonna get.

The Pump - only had an app, which was their bruschetta. I was fine enough, the bread was nice and the tomatoes were fresh, but it looked thrown together and messy.  As always, beer am it better.

Easy Brunch - amazing little spot with veg, vegan and gluten-free options. Their breakfast burrito was amazing and hot sauce was at the ready, which is exactly what every breakfast needs. Plus eating next to Steve McQueen posters makes everything taste that much better.

It was about time I tried some of these places. I tend to get into comfort-zones with my restaurants, so this months resolution was a necessity. I hope to try some new spots after this. If anyone wants a diner date, drop me a line, I would definitely be down for a new spot to try.


-janeovision

No comments:

Post a Comment